Laying the Foundation for Communication Exchange: Part 1 - How to Start
Posted by , 7 Mo. Ago
Feb 28, 2018 3:00pm to 4:00pm EST
February 28, 2018
Time:12pm PT / 1pm MT / 2pm CT/ 3pm ET
This presentation, Part 1 of 2 webinars on communication development for families and professionals, will provide a rationale for the argument that all learners communicate—not that they can learn to communicate, but that they already do. The presenter will discuss the importance of meeting a child where he or she is and consistently responding to behavior in a predictable way. Part 2 of this series will be held on March 21.
The webinar is free and registration is not required.
Susan M. Bashinski, Associate Professor and
Graduate Program Coordinator at Missouri Western State University
- Explain one way in which 3 or 4 of the key “Communication Reminders” discussed in the webinar can be part of one’s own daily life practice.
- Describe elements of a routine that can make a critical contribution to a child’s ability to feel sufficiently safe and secure to reach out to those around her in a communicative manner.
- Contrast the differences between (a) nonsymbolic and symbolic and (b) non-intentional and intentional communication.
Webinar Connection Information:
Prior to the meeting:
Prior to the meeting, please run this meeting test and follow any instructions as needed.
On the day of the meeting:
- Connect your browser to http://hknc.adobeconnect.com/ncdb/
- Once you land on the NCDB Webinar page, choose the Guest option, type your name, and click the Enter Room button.
- Phone connection information will be posted in the room. The webinar will also be captioned.
- For details on participating by phone only, contact Robbin Bull.
- If you fail to connect to the webinar using the link above, try one of two things: (a) use this alternate link or (b) try a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. If you still have trouble connecting, see our Adobe Connect Advanced Help page.
- A pop-up box might prompt you to open and/or install an Adobe Connect Add-In. If you use a pop-up blocker in your browser, you might be prompted by your browser to allow the pop-up from Adobe Connect.
If you miss the webinar, you will be able to find the recording in our archived webinars list.