You are a group member!
2017 NCDB Webinar: A Parent's Story
Early Identification and Referral
Posted by , 4 Mo. Ago
There will be two presentations of this webinar, one in English and one in Spanish.
English: September 20, 2017
Español: Septiembre 23, 2017 (Para más información hacer clic)
Time:10am HAT - 11am AKT -
12pm PT - 1pm MT - 2pm CT - 3pm ET
Every family has an important story. In this presentation, Myrna Medina, Family Engagement Specialist at California Deafblind Services and mother to a son, Norman, with deaf-blindness, will tell her family's story, including:
- Their experiences as they encountered situations common to all families of children with special needs
- Their interactions with service systems (early intervention, school, transition) at different stages of Norman's life
- Grief and other emotions they experienced and how they were able to cope and move forward
- Families will learn that their stories are important and their feelings matter.
- Families will learn strategies for coping with the many changes and transitions that occur during their children's lives.
- Professionals will learn that it is essential to remember that behind the day-to-day details of schools and services every family has a personal story.
- Professionals will learn strategies for supporting families.
Myrna Medina, Family Engagement Specialist, California Deafblind Services