Improving the Use of Effective Practices Through Coaching
Posted by , 10 Mo. Ago
August 8, 2018
12pm PT - 1pm MT - 2pm CT - 3pm ET
Coaching is a process in which an experienced practitioner or consultant observes, instructs, and provides feedback--on a regular basis--to a less experienced practitioner, to ensure that he or she is implementing a program or practice correctly. Research indicates that coaching is an important supplement to group training events in developing teachers' capacity to implement evidence-based practices. It has been estimated that after teachers learn about a new strategy, observe it being demonstrated, and practice it, only about 5% will actually implement it consistently in the classroom. When coaching is added, this estimate rises to 95% (Joyce & Showers, 2002). This webinar will review coaching best practices and describe coaching resources being developed by NCDB.
Participants will become aware of:
- Coaching best practices
- Coaching materials created by NCDB
- Ways to use the materials to increase the skills of professionals working with children who are deaf-blind
- Kristi Probst, Intervener and Qualified Personnel Initiative Lead, National Center on Deaf-Blindness
- Carlie R. Rhoads, NLCSD Scholar, Peabody College, Vanderbilt University Program in Visual Disabilities
Webinar Connection Information:
Prior to the meeting:
Prior to the meeting, please run this meeting test and follow any instructions as needed.
On the day of the meeting:
- Connect your browser to http://hknc.adobeconnect.com/ncdb/
- Once you land on the NCDB Webinar page, choose the Guest option, type your name, and click the Enter Room button.
- Phone connection information will be posted in the room.
- For details on participating by phone only, contact Robbin Bull.
- If you fail to connect to the webinar using the link above, try one of two things: (a) use this alternate link or (b) try a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. If you still have trouble connecting, see our Adobe Connect Advanced Help page.
- A pop-up box might prompt you to open and/or install an Adobe Connect Add-In. If you use a pop-up blocker in your browser, you might be prompted by your browser to allow the pop-up from Adobe Connect.
This meeting will be recorded and captioned.
If you miss the meeting you can find the recorded materials in our archived webinars list.