Cultural Competence Webinar Series: Part 1
Posted by , 18 Days Ago
Jun 6, 2019 1:00pm to 2:30pm EST
NCDB is excited to announce a free 3-part webinar series on cultural competence for state deaf-blind projects, PTIs, and other state-level partners serving families from culturally and linguistically diverse groups. Please share this with relevant family service providers in your state. All three webinars will be held at 1 EST. Length: 90 minutes.
Presenter: Sarah Ottow, Director of Confianza
Part 1: The Implications of Cultural Bias and Population Data on the Provision of TA
- How life experiences limit or enhance your ability to connect with families
- Identifying state partners who are already engaged in supporting families from culturally and linguistically diverse groups
- Recruiting cultural ambassadors to support state deaf-blind project outreach efforts
This series has been organized as a result of a workgroup comprised of the following state deaf-blind projects: Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, New England Consortium (NEC), New York, Texas, and USVI who, along with NCDB, are interested in exploring, defining, and implementing practices to improve outreach to families.
Webinar series objectives include an increased understanding of:
- Cultural bias and how it impacts the provision of TA.
- The implications of state population data (e.g., cultures represented and languages spoken in each state).
- State deaf-blind project capacity to serve families from various cultures.
- How to forge relationships with state partners to serve families.