Skip to main content
NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Families Matter

Family Engagement

I am confident that those who work in the field of special education would all agree that the cornerstone of a strong child is their family and the network of individuals who support the parents in their mission to help make their child's dream a reality. It is sometimes a thankless and tiring "job" but can also be full of countless joys. In order to celebrate the uniqueness of each child and the blessings that they provide to their families and communities, NCDB is creating a series of stories about the lives of children who experience combined vision and hearing loss across our nation. The first story, about a 22-year-old from Kansas named Jake Steinbach, will be launched on January 6th. Early in 2016, you will find the story using the "For Families" tab on the NCDB website. Please make sure to enjoy Jake's story and share your thoughts about this remarkable young man in the forum conversations in the Family Engagement Initiative space on the NCDB site (https://nationaldb.org/groups/page/10). In the weeks following the story launch, additional members of Jake's team will be posting in the forum about their insights. We sincerely hope that this can become a platform for shared learning amongst parents, state deaf-blind projects, and providers. As someone who has had the honor of working with Jake for over 10 years, I must admit that he has taught me more than I could ever possibly teach him. Isn't that the way it is with all of our students? So I look forward to you all getting to know him, his family, and some of his additional team members. They all have great things to teach us.

Megan Cote

Posted Dec 16, 2015 by Megan Cote

5 197 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (5)

Looking forward to all that can be learned by reading this first story, Megan - with deep appreciation to all those who are sharing in the telling of it.

Linda McDowell

Posted Dec 28, 2015 by Linda McDowell

Well said, Megan! I look forward to hearing more about Jake and his team! Happy Holidays!
Sherri

SHERRI NELSON

Posted Dec 23, 2015 by SHERRI NELSON

The teaser is wonderful and now I'm hooked on Jake, can't wait for the next installment!

Cyral Miller

Posted Dec 18, 2015 by Cyral Miller

What a wonderful idea Megan! It is true - our kids are our best teachers!

Deanna Rothbauer

Posted Dec 17, 2015 by Deanna Rothbauer

You can get a sneak peak of Jake's story here: https://nationaldb.org/events/detail/10/899

Peggy Malloy

Posted Dec 16, 2015 by Peggy Malloy

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials