Skip to main content
Default avatar image

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Come meet Jake and his family!

Family Engagement

NCDB is proud to share with you our first Families Matter Story about a 22 year old named Jake Steinbach. https://nationaldb.org/families. No matter how busy your schedule is today, please pause to take a look. The Steinbachs have so much to teach us about what it means to be a partner in your child's learning and what it means to live an empowered life. We hope that after you watch the story, you will take a few minutes to post your thoughts in the comments below. Jake and his family will be watching and available to answer any questions you have for them, so don't be shy. Maybe his story reminds you of another learner. Maybe his parents’ determination is something that resonates with you as a parent. Maybe as a technical assistance provider at a state deaf-blind project you have thoughts about how you would support this family. Or maybe you just want to give a shout out to these brave souls for allowing us to have a window into their family. Any way you slice it, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again and again to the Steinbach family for being so generous. We are grateful and humbled by your commitment to your amazing son.

Megan Cote

Posted Jan 6, 2016 by Megan Cote

5 225 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (5)

So much here - I haven't gotten through it all yet - but I will. It's fun to hear and see what was important for the telling of Jake's success story - and be directed to even more information! Thanks to everyone for putting this up for the rest of us to learn from and witness the success when everyone "takes time" .... "persists" ... "shows patience" (Jake too.)

Linda McDowell

Posted Jan 8, 2016 by Linda McDowell

The thing I most appreciate about these stories is how much they show the arc of the journey of raising a child, from when they are little to when they grow up! It is easy to see how love translates into dedication and the amazing imagination that parents bring to problem solving things that are new to them for the benefit of their child. I hope people will find the content placed in the context of Jakes development a real resource for learning.

Gail Leslie

Posted Jan 8, 2016 by Gail Leslie

I just loved learning about Jake from these videos. My favorite section is the one called "Empowerment." What a wonderful family!

Peggy Malloy

Posted Jan 7, 2016 by Peggy Malloy

This is a wonderful resource! The videos will be such a powerful learning and teaching tool for service providers and families!

Peggy Sinclair-Morris

Posted Jan 7, 2016 by Peggy Sinclair-Morris

Congratulations to you Megan, to Dee, to Jake and his whole family! How beautiful and exciting to have his story shared!

Amy Parker

Posted Jan 6, 2016 by Amy Parker

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials