Skip to main content
Default avatar image

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Welcome to the Family Engagement forum!

Family Engagement

Welcome to our new Family Engagement members! It's exciting to see membership growing. The NCDB Family Engagement group has been hard at work on several activities within our initiative. Here are examples of a few:

1) Working with family leaders who are participating (or are interested in participating) on their state's State Special Education Advisory Panel. This is exciting for the potential positive impact on statewide policies affecting students who are deaf-blind.

2) Working with a dedicated group of families and professionals on developing a web-based toolkit for conducting Self-Determination Leadership training for young adults who are deaf-blind.

3) Revising and enhancing the FamiliesLead website, which is a collaborative website with a vast collection of content and training materials for those interested in family leadership training.

4) Providing TA to two national family organizations, NFADB and CHARGE, as they conduct webinars to train family members on essential topics related to deaf-blindness.

We hope you will see a place to jump in and join us as endeavor to support the self-empowerment of parents of children who are deaf-blind and to assist them in acquiring advocacy and leadership skills.

Please introduce yourself in this forum. We've set up a special thread just for introductions. Tell us a little bit about you, your family, your professional life and your interest in working with families.

Paddi Davies

Posted Jun 19, 2013 by Paddi Davies

1 110 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (1)

Hi, my name is Patti McGowan and I am from PA. My husband and I live right outside of Pittsburgh, and have three children, well young adults I should say. Our youngest son has deaf-blindness due to Usher Syndrome Type II and will be a Senior in High School in the Fall. I share with many that I am fortunate to have both a chosen and given career. I teach Ballet and I also am one of the two Family Liaisons with the PA Deaf-Blind Initiative. I feel very lucky to be able to learn and work with other families in this journey we all share with deaf-blindness. We can learn so much from one another and looking forward to this forum to continue to do so.

Patti McGowan

Posted Jul 11, 2013 by Patti McGowan

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials