Skip to main content
NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Creating a Snapshot Report of the Part C Deaf-Blind Population

National Child Count

At the drop-in session on the Deaf-Blind Child Count today a number of participants indicated that some sort of a report/snapshot of the Part C Deaf-Blind Population would be very helpful as state projects worked with their Part C systems.

To facilitate the development of such document we are inviting you to join in a network-wide discussion on what information we collect through the Deaf-Blind Child Count should be included and what format it should have.

Thank you!

Mark Schalock

Mark Schalock

Posted Mar 11, 2014 by Mark Schalock

5 198 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (5)

Hi Shelley & Mark,

I love the idea of identifying emerging trends and patterns from the child count data. In addition to being useful information for the state projects for planning TA, I also see ways in which national and state parent leaders can use this data to support their advocacy efforts.

Kathy McNulty

Posted Mar 18, 2014 by Kathy McNulty

Shelly,

That would be very easy to do.

Mark

Mark Schalock

Posted Mar 18, 2014 by Mark Schalock

I think that it would certainly be enlightening to see what the current population looks like, then see a discussion of trends over the past several years. If it would be easy enough to do, that would be a very interesting snapshot. :) Shelly

Shelly Voelker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 by Shelly Voelker

Shelly,

Thank you. These are great suggestions and will, for the most part, be easy to summarize using the Annual Deaf-Blind Child Count data. Certainly communication and literacy modalities will be difficult as we do not collect that through the child count.

Do you think showing "trends" over the past several years would be beneficial? Or, just stick with the most recent year? We have seen certainly some significant changes in the past several years in several of the variables you have listed. Something to think about.

Mark

Mark Schalock

Posted Mar 17, 2014 by Mark Schalock

I think that both Part C providers and families would like to see the variety of demographic/disability profiles that exist among young children with deaf-blindness. For example:How many children ages 0-3 with deaf-blindness have each of the most common etiologies (for this age group, specifically)? How many have confirmed vision loss? How many have suspected vision loss? (Same for confirmed vs. suspected hearing loss.) How many ages 0-3 have each of the other impairments? How many young children are using corrective lenses, assistive listening devices, cochlear implants, and/or other assistive technology? What are some of the community-based settings where young children are receiving EI services?
I would personally LOVE to see some info on the communication and literacy modalities--but I know how infrequently that information is reported to me. That may be asking for the moon. :)

Shelly Voelker

Posted Mar 17, 2014 by Shelly Voelker

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials