Skip to main content
NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Upcoming Change to the 2014 Deaf-Blind Child Count

National Child Count

Change in the 2014 Deaf-Blind Child Count

In the coming weeks we will be releasing the updated materials for the 2014 Nation Child Count of Children and Youth who are Deaf-Blind. Please be advised that we will be adding Intervener Services to the 2014 data collection on a pilot basis.

We wanted to give everyone advanced notice that we will be adding Intervener Services as a new data element to the Annual Deaf-Blind Child Count this year (2014). The significance of the current Intervener Initiative within the Network provides an opportune time to add this important data element to the Annual Deaf-Blind Child Count.

Specific details will be forth coming in the materials for the 2014 Deaf-Blind Child Count. To simplify the process we will add this to the end of the current set of variables (Column 35) with “No, Yes, Unknown” response options. In addition to modifying all materials to add this data element we will develop and provide a script (with “screen shots”) on how to modify FileMakerPro databases to include this element.

We know that the first year will be difficult and messy with many “Unknown” responses. We fully understand and expect this. We will do everything we can to ease the transition to adding this additional data element.

Mark Schalock

Posted Oct 14, 2014 by Mark Schalock

13 353 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (13)

Sorry I opened this can of worms! Just anticipating a barrage of Qs!! But we just had a meeting of the state's Deafblind Work Group -- and the question was whether to say "yes" or "no" on our terms -- i.e., if one of us had trained the person to work with the child over a period of time -- and they didn't have any written documentation, even though they were doing the job. I instructed them to say "No" unless the person was actually HIRED as an intervener. We have ONE in Oregon. Actually this gives us a good picture of how many persons NEED formal training and documentation of the training -- whether credential or recognized certificate. I think I am going to ask them to also document in the margin whether the child has a one-on-one para who was trained by one of us or a one-on-one who was never trained.

Lyn Ayer

Posted Nov 11, 2014 by Lyn Ayer

Thanks, Robin!!!!

Michelle Clyne

Posted Nov 7, 2014 by Michelle Clyne

I have created a step-by-step guide for adding the new Intervener Services field to your FileMaker Pro database, for those who are using the database created by NCDB.These instructions are based on Filemaker Pro version 12 and higher. The guide can be found in the materials section, or through this link: https://nationaldb.org/materials/page/1166/11

Robbin Bull

Posted Nov 7, 2014 by Robbin Bull

Michelle, I'm loving that you and Lyn have your thinking caps on for all of us!

Toni  Hollingsworth

Posted Nov 6, 2014 by Toni Hollingsworth

Lyn - I really appreciate you asking such thoughtful and functional questions helping to figure this out before we are on the ground with it!

Toni  Hollingsworth

Posted Nov 6, 2014 by Toni Hollingsworth

Interesting - thank you, Mark.

Jeff Denton

Posted Oct 17, 2014 by Jeff Denton

Jeff,

Yes, but we will be collecting the information on an individual child/youth basis, so can go much deeper than that in terms of what we can say.

Mark Schalock

Posted Oct 17, 2014 by Mark Schalock

Please pardon what might be an ignorant question but, will Intervener Services essentially mean "Number of Children in State X Receiving Intervener Services"?

Thanks!

Jeff Denton

Posted Oct 17, 2014 by Jeff Denton

Deriving information from the intervener definition, could we add check-boxes to fill out? -- with the "training" check box having a scale or something to indicate the level of training received. Definitely we have some who have had much more training -- and more varied training than others. Just a thought. Not trying to make this more complicated!

Lyn Ayer

Posted Oct 16, 2014 by Lyn Ayer

Michelle, Lyn, very true. In the instructions we will define the role of the intervener (intervener services). We should add additional information to form as well to clarify what is meant by the term Intervener. There is definitely enough room on the 4-page form to add clarification. I'm not sure yet about the 2-page form.

Mark Schalock

Posted Oct 15, 2014 by Mark Schalock

Good points Lyn and Michele!

Robbin Bull

Posted Oct 15, 2014 by Robbin Bull

Good point, Lyn. So many programs use the term in various ways, the data may be difficult to interpret without some qualifications besides a simple yes/no/unknown function....

Michelle Clyne

Posted Oct 14, 2014 by Michelle Clyne

That is really good news that you are adding intervener -- it will make those who are filling out the registration forms (IEP teams etc) sit up and pay attentiion to the term being used on a form that is for data being reported to OSEP! I like it -- even though it will mean additional work. It will also mean that we will "educate" those who don't know this term -- since they will have to ask what it is. Will there be space for someone to add something -- e.g., "The child has a one-on-one, but not sure if the person can be considered an intervener."

Lyn Ayer

Posted Oct 14, 2014 by Lyn Ayer

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials