Skip to main content

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Parental Consent

National Child Count

Mark, Our state is now requiring parental consent forms for the APH census and a few districts have asked me if that would be required for the child count. Has that issue been raised in relation to the child count?

Martha Veto

Posted Jan 3, 2017 by Martha Veto

5 284 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (5)

Thanks for the responses. We have also included the FERPA exemption and Dear Colleague letter in our last 2 mailings. The APH registry in GA is requiring a notarized parental release this year and expect their numbers to plummet. The change is related to litigation somewhere in the nation. I told our DOE since we are a DOE project and not APH, it should not apply to us, but wanted to be sure:)

Martha Veto

Posted Jan 5, 2017 by Martha Veto

We have included the following statement in our letters to address this concern in the past. "FERPA provides an exception to the parent consent rule for disclosing this information as the information is being collected at the request of a government agency, in this case, U.S. Department of Education (U.S. DOE), Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP). The VADB Project protects the information in a manner that does not permit personal identification of these individuals by anyone except those officials at U.S. DOE OSEP, and the information will be destroyed when no longer needed."
This in addition to the letter last year from JoAnn was helpful in addressing these concerns.

Julie Durando

Posted Jan 4, 2017 by Julie Durando

Children are made eligible for the Oregon Deafblind Project by their IEP teams and not by the project -- and the teams fill out the child count forms and obtain any parent permission that they may need to do so. If a parent sends in a form (very rare), I do not log it until the child's regional consultant has seen it and made sure the child is "eligible" by Oregon regs.. We always get parental consent if we ever need to take pictures or videos of any of the children and/or family members -- or if we are going to share any information -- even parent-to-parent..

Lyn Ayer

Posted Jan 4, 2017 by Lyn Ayer

Hi Martha. Illinois started requiring parental signature on our "determination for eligibility" referral form, which contains the statement "I hereby give permission to Project Reach: Illinois Deaf-Blind Services to determine eligibility for Project Reach service for my child. I further understand if my child is found eligible for services, that he/she will be placed on the Illinois-NCDB child count. I acknowledge and understand that I may revoke this consent at any time, by submitting to Project Reach: Illinois Deaf-Blind Services a written, signed and dated notice stating that the consent is revoked." When Project Reach receives that signed "determination of eligibility" form, the child is placed on the count until he or she is determined to be ineligible, or the parent/guardian revokes consent. Nobody has ever revoked consent.

Michelle Clyne

Posted Jan 4, 2017 by Michelle Clyne

Yes, it has. A number of state projects do obtain parental consent, though certainly not all. Unfortunately I don't have a list of projects that do. Hopefully you will get some responses here, but you might also want to post a question/request in the State Portal forum as well.

Mark Schalock

Posted Jan 3, 2017 by Mark Schalock

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 |

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials