Skip to main content
NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

Supporting Transition to Adult Life for Students with Additional Disabilities

Transition

For many years, the Southeast state deaf-blind projects have offered annual transition institutes for students who are deaf-blind and on a traditional college or career path. We are now working to expand our post-secondary transition support to include a focus on students with deaf-blindness who have additional disabilities and may be following non-traditional life paths after completing high school. These are students and families who need creative, whole-life planning for their futures. 

To keep other state deaf-blind projects and interested members of the deaf-blind community in the loop, I would like to share information about an upcoming pilot event we are planning. Although the event is by invitation only and already full, we thought the details might be of interest to professionals and family members who follow transition news.

The event, a Family Transition Weekend, will be hosted by the Georgia Sensory Assistance Project and facilitated by David Wiley from the Texas Deafblind Project. Topics include person-centered planning, individual interests and preferences, and accessing community resources. Each state project (AR, FL, LA, MS, NC, SC, and TN) will bring one family and key state partners. 

The goal is to help families prepare to take an active role in planning for their young adult child’s future.  Parents/caregivers will attend without their child. They’ll take the information they learn back home and, with support from their state deaf-blind project and other service agencies, work through the process of supporting their son or daughter in planning for a future life filled with activities that are purposeful, meaningful, and enjoyable.   

Our plan as state deaf-blind projects is to use what we learn from this weekend to offer future state-specific events in collaboration with partners in our states to support more young adults and their families. We will be sure to share what we learn with all of you!

Carol Darrah

Posted Month Ago by Carol Darrah

6 77 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (6)

Interest also from Colorado. Will be excited to hear how it goes.

Gina Herrera

Posted Month Ago by Gina Herrera

Definite interest from PA! Looking forward to learning outcomes from this pilot for students with additional disabilities.

Molly Black

Posted Month Ago by Molly Black

Thumbs up Carol - This step has been one that the region has wanted to take. I am looking forward to the journey with you all.

Mike Fagbemi

Posted Month Ago by Mike Fagbemi

Ok - why my comment posted 3 times is beyond me...;P
I guess I'm extra thrilled!

Sheri Stanger

Posted Month Ago by Sheri Stanger

Thank you for sharing this information. I look forward to hearing what you learn!

Sheri Stanger

Thank you for sharing this information. I look forward to hearing what you learn!

Sheri Stanger

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials