You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile



Thank you Mike for the introduction. I want to also include that I am a Certified Benefits Planner.

For this discussion we are going to focus on what happens when someone turns 18 years old. I do want to mention that Social Security has work incentives that enable individuals to try to obtain and maintain employment.

When an individual is turning 18 and has been on SSI, they need to apply for SSI as an adult. I’ve included two links for your review to start the dialog on this topic.

Supplemental Security Income: What Happens to My SSI When I Turn 18?

Benefits For Children With Disabilities. On page 7 & 8, it discusses Adult Child Benefits. If the individual is getting their benefits through this program and not SSI they also need to apply as an adult.

Marlene Swarts

Posted Jun 15, 2018 by Marlene Swarts

9 180 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (9)

The information you shared about the Benefits Planning Query was new to me. Thanks for sharing Marlene.

Beth Jordan

Posted Jul 3, 2018 by Beth Jordan

Thank you, Marlene.

Sheri Stanger

Posted Jul 3, 2018 by Sheri Stanger

Hi Sheri, I agree about not understanding a system. Washington state VR has benefits planners because of how complex Social Security is and how individuals fear losing their Social Security. Because there are different programs individuals can be on and sometimes they are on more than one it can became complex because the rules are different. Some individuals can be on both SSDI and SSI depending on their work history. There is also a benefit that individuals receive once their parents are on Social Security themselves, if their disability was present during childhood. It is always recommended that people request their BPQY, Benefits Planning Query, from Social Security to review which benefit one is receiving. There is a certain percentage of the BPQY’s that are not accurate that is why it is always advisable to have a certified benefits planners review it. Online on the Social Security website you can find instructions on how to read a BPQY. There is also the Red Book that is online. The current Red Book that is from 2017 but they have on the right-hand side a link to what is new in 2018. It is important to include what is new in 2018 when reviewing the Red Book. In spite of how complex Social Security is most people end up with more money in their pockets by going to work because of the different work incentives. Social Security wants individuals to try employment. Even if it is part time employment.

Marlene Swarts

Posted Jul 2, 2018 by Marlene Swarts

Thank you. As soon as I think I understand a system that is new to me, I realize there is so much more that I don't know! I also find the rules keep changing in the adult service world. It's very challenging to manage.

Sheri Stanger

Posted Jul 1, 2018 by Sheri Stanger

That is too bad. You might want to meet with a certified benefits planner to get clear directions.

Marlene Swarts

Posted Jun 29, 2018 by Marlene Swarts

She is the only one getting SSI and yes, she receives less than $750. I just found out that if she can't cover the cost of 1/4 of our monthly mortgage pymt, then she can't pay rent through SSI.

Sheri Stanger

Posted Jun 27, 2018 by Sheri Stanger

Hi Sheri,
Fist want to make sure it is only SSI? If you or her father is receiving SS it could be on your account. Or if she has a work history, SSDI, could be on her account. Some people get both SSDI and SSI. The current Federal Benefit Rate (FBR) is $750 a month for SSI. I don't know if your state also adds state funds, some do. So if it is only SSI and she is getting less than the $750 and the reason is because she is not paying rent yes she would.

Marlene Swarts

Posted Jun 26, 2018 by Marlene Swarts

Hi Marlene. Welcome and thank you for chatting with us. My daughter is 24 years old, lives at home and receives SSI. We are doing self directed services in NY State. So if my daughter used some of her SSI money towards rent, would she actually get an increase in SSI?

Sheri Stanger

Posted Jun 25, 2018 by Sheri Stanger

When I meet with parents who's child is living at home some struggle about charging their child rent. If you don't charge your child rent Social Security sees this an "In Kind Income" resource and they will reduce your child's SSI.

Marlene Swarts

Posted Jun 22, 2018 by Marlene Swarts

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 |

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials