Skip to main content
NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

The Buzz - Post Summit Transition Updates !

Transition

Post Summit Notes –Deaf-Blind Summit

Greetings All!!!
If you were unable to attend the Transition strand or just need a summary now of what happened you want to continue to read this post. The transition breakout was well attended with participants representing state projects and the Helen Keller National Center.
The great news is that collaboration has become an important part of the culture. The network continues to find ways to collaboratively address the needs of transition age youth. The use of technology and onsite technical assistance using partners with shared interest and need has been the fuel that drives the collaborative spirit. Here are some of the exciting updates that were shared at the transition breakout and action planning session. The Transition Institute now in its 10th year was hosted by the Kentucky Deaf-Blind project in partnership with their state Parent Center KY-SPIN. The institute was well attended by 11 state projects and 20 families. The institute was a success with all young adults returning to their schools and colleges with action plans, strategies and enthusiasm to continue to pursue that successful life each of them wants. This update was provided by Diane Haynes from the Kentucky DB project.
This second update provided by Susie Morgan Morrow from the New York DB project highlighted another significant and collaborative activity. This initiative encompassed one school year which began initially in September 2014 with 15 projects anchoring their state teams comprised of educators, families and adult service providers. Through attrition the numbers were reduced to 7 robust teams. This initiative combines content driven webinars, collaborative online work spaces and individual state action plans to build team capacity to improve educational outcomes of youth who are deaf-blind. The initiative coined as ITTI (Interdisciplinary transition team Initiative) is actively recruiting interested projects who want to support transition teams within their state.
This third update provided by Dr. Jerry Petroff from the New Jersey DB project was to inform the network of the post school outcomes survey he developed and would need the network’s help in disseminating to families and young adults who could reliably complete it. NCDB has agreed to assist in pushing out the survey in a variety of places and will invite NFADB and the CHARGE foundation to join us in Jerry’s dissemination efforts.
The presentation of the transition initiative efforts at DB Summit was constructed with a few outcomes in mind. We wanted you to be aware of the collaborative work across the network , we wanted you to consider your interest in contributing to the existing efforts and to be aware of how this all fits with the national agenda as it relates to all youth with disabilities who need to be prepared for college and or career including community living.
The DB network was asked to highlight our efforts that have had an impact on preparing youth for college and career as well as access to the general education curriculum. NCDB introduced Technical work groups (TWG) whose members would serve in an advisory capacity and could support product development in a number of ways. The TWG would meet bi monthly with an online work space to share and store information. The TWG identified and prioritized the work scope to three buckets of work:
1. Update Transition Rubric ( 2008) content and appearance through instructional design
2. Complete Post Schools Outcome Survey to inform the network of how youth are doing after exiting high school
3. Develop Information Brief to identify barriers and strategies employed by the network to prepare youth for post- secondary success.
DB Summit would provide the network with the opportunity to participate and encourage you to join the TWG as a member interested in developing the work further once we had all returned to our offices. The group activities and discussions in each initiative session were anchored to the Action Planning document. (See DB Summit Action planning form)
So… now that the Deaf-Blind Summit is somewhat in your rearview mirror you must be wondering what’s coming up next on the horizon! Well here is what I can tell you:
• The J. Petroff’s post school outcome survey needs your help to go out to the families and young adults. The electronic version has been posted on every digital lamppost we have on the website and just in case you haven’t seen it : https://tcnj.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_0OHlGcJE4EddwLb There will also be paper copies coming to each of your projects via snail mail. Can you tell we are motivated by families, young adults and the network that sorely needs this type of updated information to inform our practice? Please see Jerry Petroff petroff@tcnj.edu if you have any questions related to the survey.
• The transition institute continues to contribute to the network in a number of ways. There will be a multi-media product that will combine the voices of young adults, families, interpreters and service providers that will share their perspectives related to self-determination, access, family engagement and interagency collaboration. These hallmarks of effective transition planning are their message to you that all young people regardless of their complexities must be given the same opportunities to thrive. Stay tuned for this work in progress!
• The ITTI launch is right around the corner! The initiative a year older and year wiser is ready for you to join and support a transition team for this upcoming school year. A young adult gifted with all the self-determination in the world still needs to be supported by family and educational teams. The transition teams need help with effective teaming strategies and good transition content that works for a deaf-blind student. There is enough archived information from last year to give you a flavor of what this initiative is all about. The online launch was a huge success last year with an adobe and phone roll call of families, education teams and DB projects. Please see Susie for more information regarding the September 30th launch. Susanne.Morrow@qc.cuny.edu

M. Fagbemi

Mike Fagbemi

Posted Sep 16, 2015 by Mike Fagbemi

2 173 views transition db summit
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (2)

So Mike--one of the problems I am finding is that the young adults are too busy to complete the Transition survey...now that is a nice thing, but I am still trying to get some great young folks to complete their surveys..even my young guy there at HKNC....maybe you could run over and encourage him. Smiles. I keep trying to get Nebraska represented, but not having much luck at this point. Hoping Jerry will leave this open longer. Any ideas on that Jerry P??

Teresa Coonts

Posted Nov 2, 2015 by Teresa Coonts

I too see clearly, Mike, that the network continues to find ways to collaboratively address the needs of transition age youth - what a great update of current and upcoming activities! I find it easier to believe that the young people we serve will move into adult life being about to say "I have purpose; I'm contributing; I'm held in high esteem by someone other than my parents and support providers" (borrowing wording from the E-news video of Diane Haynes talking about developing residency in students.) Bravo!!

Linda McDowell

Posted Sep 30, 2015 by Linda McDowell

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials