You are a group member!
Assessment, Planning, and Instruction Initiative
Since meeting in Salt Lake City for Summit, the Literacy Workgroup has been busy making plans for the upcoming year. Here are some of the plans-
We will soon be creating a module as an introduction to the content on the literacy website into an accessible online learning module format that will incorporate two tracks, one for in-service and one for personnel preparation/university coursework. Although the specific objectives may be adjusted during the development of the module, preliminary discussions have identified that after completing the module, participants will be able to:
• understand the impact of deaf-blindness on building foundational skills in literacy
• complete a Literacy Skills Checklist for students with sensory loss and multiple disabilities
• understand the relationship of literacy and communication development
• describe strategies for developing meaningful interaction
• describe strategies for developing joint attention
• identify reasons to connect literacy related experiences into the daily routines
• identify strategies to select objects to represent activities, choices, or people important to the student
We hope to be looking for participants to field test this module in the Fall of 2016. We'll keep you posted!
Please join us in the Spring of 2016 as we host a Literacy month on the Communication Matrix Community website. We will be posting forums about the close relationship between communication and literacy. We will let you know the dates soon! In the meantime, please go to https://community.communicationmatrix.org/ to register and join in the conversations about communication. There have been several Parent Leaders who have been hosting this forum the last few months and have been doing a great job!
Please continue to visit our website http://literacy.nationaldb.org for strategies on literacy instruction. We would love to hear from you as you try implementing in your classroom or at home.