NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

November 2018 News

Early Identification and Intervention

Happy November!

I hope that each of you are beginning to settle a bit after such a hectic summer and early fall. It is with huge excitement that I say hello to each of you, my DB family. Thanks to so many of you for your warm welcome on the Early Identification and Intervention Forum. Your words were generous and kind, and I too look forward to working together in the months and years to come.

For those of you who I haven't met, here's a little bit about me:

I recently moved from Vermont to Oregon this summer to be closer to my husband's family who live in Portland, Oregon. To move, my husband, Steve, and our two kids ages 5 and 1 drove all the way across the country - first driving south to Alabama to see family and then straight out and over the continental divide to Oregon. It was quite the trip! For the previous five years, we lived in Vermont and I worked at Vermont's State DeafBlind Project, the Vermont Sensory Access Project, first as Coordinator and then in a new role as Director after my mentor and friend Susan Edelman retired. My time in Vermont was special. I built relationships and connections with so many incredible children, families, and providers and learned so many valuable skills. It was difficult to leave that position, but it was the right choice for my family. 

Now living in Oregon, I am so happy to have begun work with NCDB in the role of Initiative Lead for Early Identification and Intervention. During my time in Vermont, I used NCDB's Early Identification and Referral Self Assessment Guide (SAG) and worked closely with state systems and individual partners within our state to increase the identification of infants and toddlers with combined vision and hearing loss. The SAG really helped me to connect the dots between my general feelings and knowledge of what needed to be done with data and systems level action. The guide left me with an organized and achievable set of next steps.

As you read this message, NCDB is hard at work creating new work plans, and one of the first things I will be working on in the Early Identification and Intervention Initiative is to organize information and resources from the EI & R Toolbox. The goal will be to organize and redesign the resources so that the Toolbox is easy to navigate and is useful, relevant, and high quality for state deaf-blind projects to gather resources for outreach to the four systems: Early Intervention Part C, Medical, EHDI, and Community Partners. A main goal is to create clear and highly customizable templates that can be used in this outreach. In the coming months, you will be hearing from me as I look for input on the Toolbox materials and design. I look forward to your feedback and thoughts.

With gratitude for you all and best wishes for a happy November,

Emma

Great Resource: Check out the Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE)’s resource on Early Intervention Family Guides- now translated into Spanish

Emma Nelson

Posted 8 Mo. Ago by Emma Nelson

2 102 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (2)

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest, Emma!

Katie  Humes

Posted 8 Mo. Ago by Katie Humes

Hi, Emma. Thank you :)

Marites Altuna

Posted 8 Mo. Ago by Marites Altuna

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials