NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

January 2019 Update

Early Identification and Intervention

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope that this update finds each of you well and at least a bit rested after the holiday break.

It’s the first new year on the new grant, and I'd like to take a moment to learn from each of you (if you’re willing!) about your experiences with the Self Assessment Guide (SAG). If you have a moment to share your experiences in the chat below, please do! I’m especially curious to hear what has worked well and what hasn’t worked as well. What are the great parts and what are the sticky parts? If you’re curious, here are a few stories from states who have used the SAG.

Reflecting back on my experiences in Vermont, I completed the SAG and worked hard to try to follow through on the action steps. Then, if I’m being honest, I forgot about the action steps I’d built, and kept moving forward, sometimes going in tangents and false starts. In the end, I didn't make as much forward progress as I had wanted to. Partially, this was due to personnel changes and other complexities of the state systems I was working with, but partially, I believe that this was due to my own lack of straightforward targets. At times, I tried to change so much, rather than changing just a bit at a time. I lost track a bit of the trajectory and small steps that go into creating comprehensive systems change. 

I’m in the process of beginning a Peer Learning Community for state projects considering diving into the SAG for the first time. At summit, we will have a small breakout session for states who are considering beginning the process to gather together and talk about how we can support each other as you move through the guide. It certainly would have been helpful for me if I’d had a group to meet with to share my successes and set backs and to brainstorm new strategies for outreach and change. That’s what I’m really hoping this group can be and I’d love to hear any comments about this as well. 

Looking forward to seeing you all at Summit, and be well!

Emma

Emma Nelson

Posted 5 Mo. Ago by Emma Nelson

6 145 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (6)

Thanks so much, Ira!

Emma Nelson

I am currently working with our Part C to complete the SAG for this grant cycle. I am in the process of using "The Sooner the Better" frameworks and adapting it to create a module for the EI providers in our state that also has a corresponding quiz. The EI providers access the modules for recertification and the DB module will be an "optional" for the providers. One area that we do need some guidance on is working and collaborating with medical communities. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Ira Padhye

Posted 5 Mo. Ago by Ira Padhye

Thanks for your comments, Chris! I look forward to hearing more about all that you're doing in NY!

Emma Nelson

Emma, Thanks so much for your stellar work as always. I am glad to see that you're working on developing this Peer Learning Community. We completed the SAG recently with the specific purpose of reassessing our TA priorities in developing grant initiatives for this cycle. It was extremely helpful to target specific state systems and get a better understanding as to the progress, challenges, and current status of our connections across each system. We were already more or less aware of the major state-specific and program-specific barriers as well as the opportunities for expanding upon our collaborations, but the SAG allowed for a thorough review. In the process, we discovered several additional areas to target, and were able to identify exactly which phase of implementation we are currently in for each system/sub-system. It was also very helpful for grant-writing to be able to refer to the structure of the SAG to outline these efforts, successes, and areas of need. We also used the comparison of data from the "Proportionality of State Birth through 2 Deaf Blind Child Count with Overall Deaf-Blind Count Age Distribution" table in our narrative to address the issues of under-identification and under-referral. We did not utilize the Developing an Action Plan Section as thoroughly, as it was fairly clear from the other sections as to what the action plan(s) are for NY, and we did not feel the need to use the structure of the SAG to develop outcome statements, etc. Rather, we took the information from the many previous sections, and developed our own goals and activities for these initiatives. I could see these tools being very useful to guide discussion and support creation of new goals and activities for a grant program, though. Thanks again and great work Emma!

Christopher Russell

Posted 5 Mo. Ago by Christopher Russell

Thanks, Lisa, for your comments- if you revisit it this grant cycle I'd love to connect.

Emma Nelson

I did complete the SAG the first year of the last grant cycle and I was a first-time project coordinator so it was really helpful but I too would have benefited from input from a small group. My action plan was simple. I think that was helpful too. I plan to revisit the SAG this grant cycle. It is a good tool to help projects get the big picture as well as develop steps to improve early identification practices.

Lisa  Lawter

Posted 5 Mo. Ago by Lisa Lawter

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials