You are a group member!
Keeping things moving!
Early Identification and Intervention
Now that funding notifications have gone out (Congrats, everyone!) it's time to figure out how to keep our EI&R work moving forward. Several states indicated commitment to EI&R in their letters to support NCDB's proposal. Let's use this venue to get some things started!
A good first step would be to learn more about your timelines for the following activities. Then we can think together about how best to support each other's efforts.
1. Seven states have committed to using the Self-Assessment Guide: AR, IA, IN, MS, OR, UT and WV.
2. Eight western states (AZ, CO, ID, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY) have committed to "completing an online vision and hearing screening tool for State Part C programs to identify birth-to-three year olds at risk for vision impairment and hearing loss. This eight-module tool will include one module on 'Special Issues for Infants with Complex Health Needs and Syndromes,' which will help identify infants and toddlers at risk for deaf-blindness." Pretty exciting, huh?!
3. At a meeting in KC state project folks reviewed existing EI&R materials and offered recommendations for revising and updating them. At PDM additional states expressed interest in becoming involved in such work and/or developing materials to fill identified gaps. There is particular interest in beginning with materials for Part C providers. NY and WV have contacted me recently about getting started. So we need to know who else might be interested in doing something in Year 1.
4. LA mentioned a southeast multi-state summer institute with Early Identification and Early Intervention as one possible focus. Anybody know what year that's planned?
5. MN mentioned EI as an interest area - can you tell us more?
I'm sure there are additional activities I don't know about. Please share brief descriptions here - that will help us all think about network-wide TA possibilities. Thanks!