NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

The EI/R webinar on the Self-Assessment Guide was a success!

Early Identification and Referral

Thanks to those who were able to join the EI/R webinar on Oct 7th on the Self-Assessment Guide. Jennie Mascheck (MO), Emma Nelson (VT) and Rebecca Obold-Geary (KS) did a wonderful job of explaining the process that each of them went through to complete the guide and the lessons they learned as a result of the process. As I listened to each of them share their experiences, what struck me most is that each state completed it in a different way. In Missouri, they had a few folks complete sections independently and then they met to discuss results. In Vermont, Emma completed the guide by herself and reached out to folks as needed to get her questions answered. In Kansas, Rebecca met with her co-worker to complete the guide as a pair. In the end, each state wound up with important findings that guided their work to a targeted system for creating their Action Plan. To watch the recorded webinar please go to: https://nationaldb.org/library/page/2558.

I encourage all the state deaf-blind projects to look at the newly designed EI/R group home page and open the Self-Assessment Guide to see how the new Child Count numbers affect your targeted needs. Then, please join us for a follow-up drop-in call on Wednesday, October 21st at 11 PT/ 1 CT/ 2 ET where you can get any follow-up questions answered related to completing the Self-Assessment guide.

The next EI/R webinar is scheduled for Wednesday, October 28th at 11 PT/ 1 CT/ 2 ET. Jennie, Rebecca and Emma will be back to share about step 2 in the EI/R process- Action Planning. Now that you've heard about how they completed the Self-Assessment Guide, join them to hear about how they translated the results into a comprehensive action plan that was tied to evidence based practices and learn about their increases in child find outcomes. There will also be a question and answer time at the end to allow you to ask state specific questions.

Watch for reminders and announcements about the upcoming webinars taking place in this series. You will find information here in our initiative group space at https://nationaldb.org/events/detail/0/817 and also in the News and Events section of this group and on the NCDB main website home page.

Let the sharing continue...

Megan Cote

Posted Oct 8, 2015 by Megan Cote

6 214 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (6)

Teresa: I cannot wait to hear how it turns out. It sounds like a great plan! Keep us posted!

Megan Cote

Posted Oct 22, 2015 by Megan Cote

The truly encouraging thing is that children are being found and therefore needs are being met! This is such a successful tool and there are many people to thank for development, use and modification, and support to new users! Thank you today, Megan, Jennie, Rebecca and Emma!

Linda McDowell

Posted Oct 15, 2015 by Linda McDowell

Teresa! What great action steps! I also am hoping to continue work with Part C around the steps you are mentioning. Hopefully this will continue to bring increased identification and consequently more positive outcomes to our states.

Emma Nelson

Posted Oct 15, 2015 by Emma Nelson

Megan,
Just to let you know I am continuing on with our action plan as a result of the self-assessment using EI and R. One gap was just making sure our babies are identified and included on our db child count. So, I have a meeting scheduled with our Part C (both education--one of my coworkers--smiles--and DHHS)--co-leads to discuss the current data system being used for all Part C children. My idea is to include some questions specific to vision, hearing, and combined vision and hearing into the Part C data system that all service coordinators must complete. That information is pulled directly from IFSP, but would be accurate data on the actual number of children birth to age 3 who have either a vision, hearing, or combined vision and hearing losses. Many of our children in Part C are identified under Developmental Delay, so hoping this will help us targeted materials to specific teams and service coordinators in the state. If and when we get a system in place, then we can target materials for including these children in our db child count----all a big 5 year outcome for the NE DB Grant if that all works correctly....big smiles.

Teresa Coonts

Posted Oct 14, 2015 by Teresa Coonts

A lot of time and thoughtful effort went into designing this rich tool. The states that participated in the pilot were incredibly helpful in creating a finished product with a lot of utility for the network. It was so wonderful to hear how it was actually used and the tips that were provided for others who are planning to use it in the future.

Robbin Bull

Posted Oct 8, 2015 by Robbin Bull

Megan and team,
Congrats on a very successful webinar. I learned a number of things. For starters, I loved hearing about the actual results in numbers of kids identified (increased!!). It will be interesting to see how those numbers figure into a national increase percentage wise in the new Annual Child Count Report that is due out shortly. I also appreciated the stories of the unexpected outcomes of new relationships with systems or individuals that were forged as a result of the process. This work has been percolating and developing for a long time. It dates back to NCDB's 2006 grant with the idea of a work group focused on the issue of under identification of kids birth to 2. There was a declarative sentence in that proposal..."By the end of this cycle, more children under 2 will be identified". Looks like we are getting there!

Gail Leslie

Posted Oct 8, 2015 by Gail Leslie

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials