You are a group member!
January EI/R News!
Early Identification and Referral
I wanted to share an exciting opportunity with you all as well as some great resources:
1) On January 18th at 9 PST/ 10 MST/ 11 CST/ 12 EST Carol Darrah (GA), Emma Nelson (VT) and I will be presenting a 1-hour FREE webinar for the DEC titled “Identifying and Supporting Young Children with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss”. Information on how to register can be found here: http://www.decei.org/meetings. We’d not only love to have you join us, but would be thrilled if you’d share this opportunity with early intervention providers and coordinators in your state as well as families who you think may be interested. Here’s the link to the flyer about the training: http://media.wix.com/ugd/e37417_459db09eb6a54641b8d5c7b8a799e44c.pdf
The goal of the presentation is to increase participants understanding of:
• Who are children with combined vision and hearing loss?
• How do you find them and refer them for services?
• Implications for Intervention
• National and state resources related to Deaf-Blindness
Also, this webinar has been approved by Illinois Early Intervention Training program for 0.5 credit hours in the area of Atypical Development and 0.5 credit hours in the area of Intervention.
2) In the ECTA Center eNotes, there’s information about new Zika Resources from the CDC (released Dec 2016) including preliminary estimates of birth defects after Zika Virus infection during pregnancy based on data available as of September 22, 2016 and 2-page fact sheets. Go here to learn more: http://ectacenter.org/enotes/enotes_day.asp?utm_source=enotes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=738&enoteid=738&vmonth=January&vyear=2017&vday=3#enote1
3) And, here are a few additional resources that may be helpful in educating service providers about identifying children with deaf-blindness:
Children who are Deaf-Blind - https://nationaldb.org/library/page/2064
This is a 4-page basic overview of deaf-blindness (Available in Spanish)
Overview on Deaf-Blindness - https://nationaldb.org/library/page/1934
This is another basic overview (6 pages) from NCDB (Available in Spanish).
I Wish I Had… Wisdom from Parents of Children Who Are Deaf-Blind - https://nationaldb.org/library/page/787
This is a family-friendly brochure from NCDB (Available in Spanish).
4) Finally, the EI/R webinar originally scheduled for January 23 has been postponed. As soon as we have a new date, we'll be sure to let you know.
Hoping 2017 is off to a great start!