Skip to main content
Default avatar image

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

How many interveners are there in the U.S.?

Interveners and Qualified Personnel

During one of the roundtable sessions held at the deaf-blind projects' meeting in Washington, DC in July, a question came up about how many interveners there are in the U.S. There isn't really a solid data-based answer (and it depends on how you define "intervener"), but NCDB did ask a question about this on a 2012 survey of state deaf-blind projects. I've posted a table in the "Group Materials" section from the survey. Of the 42 states that responded, 9 reported that they did not know the number. Another 7 indicated that no children had interveners. The total number of children reported to have interveners in the remaining 26 states was 391. The definition of "intervener" was left up to each survey respondent.

Peggy Malloy

Posted Sep 18, 2013 by Peggy Malloy

5 187 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (5)

Good afternoon Martha, as Peggy mentioned, in response to the OSEP recommendations, we worked with others in developing the definition she refers to. Please feel free to let me know if there is any other info or background discussion that may be useful to you. I would love to find out, based on this definition, how many interveners are now serving children throughout the states!

John Killoran

Posted Mar 13, 2014 by John Killoran

Thanks, Peggy. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Martha Veto

Posted Mar 13, 2014 by Martha Veto

Also, I would add that the information in my previous comment was collected last year and the year before and this is a rapidly changing area. It would be great if people could provide any updates they are aware of here regarding changes in their states, especially whether anything related to interveners has been adopted into state rules :-)

Peggy Malloy

Posted Mar 13, 2014 by Peggy Malloy

Hi Martha. There are two recent publications that should be helpful to you. The first is a definition and description of the role of the intervener, which you can find here: https://nationaldb.org/library/page/2266. The second is a technical report from which the first document was derived. See here: http://documents.nationaldb.org/Intervener%20Services%20Definition%20Technical%20Report.pdf. The technical report is basically a summary of what other states are using based on information that John Killoran collected last year.

Another thing that might be helpful is the data summary, "Definition and Use of the Term Intervener" on this page: https://nationaldb.org/library/page/2184

Hope this helps!
Peggy

Peggy Malloy

Posted Mar 13, 2014 by Peggy Malloy

Your statement about the definition of "intervener" is a hot topic for me right now. Our state has added "Deaf-Blind Intervener" to the dropdown box of service providers on the IEP, but we haven't defined what it means for our state. I'm trying to have that conversation now with the DOE and the Professional Standards Commission and would welcome any language other states have adopted about what an intervener is - and what the requirements for being called one is in those states.

Martha Veto

Posted Mar 13, 2014 by Martha Veto

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials