NCDB Logo

You are a group member!

Please login.

You must first login before joining this group.

Login or Make a Profile

DB and Additional Disability Discussion

Interveners and Qualified Personnel

Thanks Amy for your explanation of my comments on identifying intellectual disability in children with autism. You captured my thoughts so well. We have such a responsibility to advocate for the children and in doing so-we often find ourselves explaining the impact of deafblindness on learning. We must never lose sight of the importance of that message and our limitations in understanding the lived experience of someone who is deafblind. I'm actually more concerned about the misidentification of autism or just the lack of consideration given to deafblindness as an exclusion criteria. One of the big dangers of this misidentification is that the child may then receive an educational approach dominated by behaviorism and highly adult-directed methodologies. While this works well with many children with autism and some who are deafblind (especially in some areas of learning), it is often not appropriate as a dominant approach for prelinguistic children who are congenitally deafbliind. Of course a disability "label' should never connote a particular approach, but too often this occurs. Thanks everyone for attending the webinar. Susan

Susan Bruce

Posted Dec 15, 2016 by Susan Bruce

1 141 views
Please login.

You must first login before posting your comments here.

Login or Make a Profile

Comments (1)

"Lived experiences" is so vital, Susan. It makes me think of what the autism community has learned from adults and children who have autism and have formal language. Adults who are deafblind, particularly those who lost vision and hearing early in life and have language, have a "lived experience" where they can share perspectives with teachers and interveners that may inform their practices with congenitally deafblind children.

It all stems from respect, deep respect for the individual that is being served and listening to adults who are deafblind and family members should be a part of our practice as professionals.

Amy Parker

Posted Dec 16, 2016 by Amy Parker

NCDB : The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | info@nationaldb.org

Tour This Page Website Help
Help for this page

Help Guides & Tutorials