You are a group member!
Early Identification and Referral
This initiative promotes strategies and processes that state deaf-blind projects can use to:
- Improve early identification and referral outcomes
- Provide appropriate and effective intervention to infants, toddlers, and their families
Technical Assistance & Support
Work in this initiative has involved the development of a number of resources and tools that state deaf-blind projects can use to improve early identification and intervention. These include:
- Early Identification of Infants Who Are Deaf-Blind – A report on early identification needs in the field of deaf-blindness, and steps NCDB has taken to address them
- Monthly EI &R News - The latest information about activities, materials, and opportunities related to early identification, referral, and intervention
- 2015-2017 Webinar Series – Recordings of webinars that describe state deaf-blind project experiences as they work to improve early identification and referral (includes useful examples, suggestions, and strategies)
Improving Early Identification and Referral
NCDB staff are available to provide consultation to state deaf-blind projects regarding use of the Early Identification and Referral Self-Assessment Guide. Projects use the guide to:
- Analyze current early identification and referral efforts in four systems (Part C, Early Hearing Detection and intervention [EHDI], medical providers, and community programs)
- Select and implement strategies to improve identification and referral
Increasing Service Provider Knowledge and Skills
TA in this area involves assisting state deaf-blind projects to develop training opportunities for early intervention providers and families using The Sooner the Better: A Framework for Training Early Intervention Practitioners on Deaf-Blindness.
Initiative Background and Data Facts
Learn about the intent of the EI&R national initiative and the unique role it plays in bringing state deaf-blind projects and state systems together to improve referral and intervention efforts.
Tools for Technical Assistance
Current Initiative Activities